Thursday, March 29, 2012

Preacher Kids....snacking on communion

Last night was homework night at our house.  We all had homework that needed to get done.  Anna had two tests, Abby had one test and I have more work to do than I even care to write about.  Aaron was in class so he missed the Atchley family homework hour(s).

While the house was quiet and everyone was dutifully studying (a  major minor miracle in itself), I looked up to see this:


If you can't tell what she is doing, she is snacking while studying.  If you look very closely, you will see that she is dipping bread into grape juice and eating it.  I chuckled when I realized what she was doing.  She said that she was "snacking on communion."  Abby was bounding down the stair about that time and raced over to get in on the action.


Now, don't go all theological on me and post comments and send me e-mails about how this goes against United Methodist practices and such...just enjoy it for what it is:  Two preacher's kids who used to play baptism in the bathtub have moved on to snacking on "communion".   

I will have to admit that in an evening full of stress and pressure, the thought of God's grace being available to anyone at any time was comforting.  They may have been snacking and not thinking about the significance of the sacrament of communion, but it made me stop for a second and just rest in the fact that I am saved by faith alone and that nothing I can do will add to that or subtract to that.  I needed that!

1 comment:

  1. snacking on communion... that'll preach all by itself...as my pastor would say, eat the bread, drink the water!

    ReplyDelete