Monday, January 12, 2009

The beginning of a new year….

A new school, new teachers, new school supplies, new friends, new routines, new rules.

That’s a lot of new!! We have had a whole summer full of new stuff. That comes along with the territory though. The girls had a good first day. Aaron and I had a good first day. It was a first for me too! It was the first time that my little girls rode the bus home. I was at work anxiously looking at the clock willing it to move faster so that I could go home and ask, “How was your first day?”

I finally got that opportunity. I asked the question and asked the question and asked the question. The girls were not exactly forthcoming with answers. I had to drag it out of them. Who did you meet? What did you do? How was the playground? Did you like riding the bus? Did you make any new friends? What did you think of your teacher?

Just give me a nugget…I want to know what your day was like! I told my oldest that if she didn’t tell me anything about her day I might just take a day off work and follow her around all day. She promptly told me that moms didn’t do that in the fourth grade. It would be embarassing. I got a few more answers after I told her I would do it!!

I ache to know about my girls’ days. I want to know who they play with. What makes them happy and what makes the sad. I want to help through life’s struggles. I want to celebrate life’s achievements. I want to know that the school lunch was nasty. I want to know that they discovered a new thing.

It’s not that I’m overprotective…probably the total opposite. I just want to share in those experiences with them. I want to really know my girls and I want them to want to share with me about their lives. I want to have a relationship with them. I don’t want to just be the rule-enforcer, food provider and mess cleaner.

I can’t help but think that God is saying the same thing about me. I can just imagine that he is waiting for me to come to him and tell him about my day. Tell him what went good and what went wrong. He wants to celebrate with me and help me through my struggles.

I am so thankful that he is a relational God. He is interested in having a relationship with me–not just being a rule enforcer, provider or janitor. He wants to help me with my struggles. He wants me to ask for his advice. He wants me to just sit down with him and tell him about my day, not because I want him to do something about my day, but because I want to share with him what I have experienced that day and how I am different because of it.

I need to remember that I am not a burden to him. It is hard to remember sometimes that as big as he is and as powerful as he is, what he wants is for me to love him and to love him, is to spend time with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment