Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Emotions of a Pastor's Family: Part 3--Overwhelmed

I had a mini-breakdown yesterday and today.  I did a dangerous thing and started thinking about all of the things that will need to be done between now and when we move.  Here's just a sample:

  • Midterm for Theology of John Wesley
  • Find a moving company
  • Write 13 more outlines of John Wesley's sermons
  • Read 700+ pages for class
  • Write 5 page paper on Social Justice and John Wesley's theology
  • Go to 3 soccer tournaments
  • Plan and throw Anna's 13th birthday party
  • Participate in Abby's 5th grade blessing
  • Go to work everyday...(the list of what to do here is too extensive to even begin to list)
  • Design and print Aaron's graduation announcements
You can see why I am became so overwhelmed....sometimes it is more than I can wrap my mind around.  It just doesn't seem like there is enough time in the day to get it all done. It is easy to lose perspective when you feel that you might just choke to death on your to-do list.  It is during those times that I turn on my Pandora and listen to my Praise and Worship station.

As I did that this morning, the first song that played was Chris Tomlin's I Will Follow You. (Listen to it here.)  This is a beautiful song and I can remember the very first time it was sung in worship.  By the end of the song, my face was wet with tears as it expressed beautifully the prayer that I had prayed for many years. 

Here are the lyrics:
"I Will Follow"

Where you go, I'll go
Where you stay, I'll stay
When you move, I'll move
I will follow...

All your ways are good
All your ways are sure
I will trust in you alone
Higher than my side
High above my life
I will trust in you alone

Where you go, I'll go
Where you stay, I'll stay
When you move, I'll move
I will follow you
Who you love, I'll love
How you serve I'll serve
If this life I lose, I will follow you
I will follow you

Light unto the world
Light unto my life
I will live for you alone
You're the one I seek
Knowing I will find
All I need in you alone, in you alone

In you there's life everlasting
In you there's freedom for my soul
In you there joy, unending joy
and I will follow 


 Following God's will is not always easy.  There is a peace that comes from walking the path that God has set before you.  Even in the midst of stress, heartache, and to-do lists that seem unending, God is my rock and my refuge.  I trust that he loves me and wants what's best for me. 

During this crazy, hectic time, it will be important for me to remember that what God wants most from me is me.  Not my to-do list, not what I am doing for him, but ME!  So, if you see me overwhelmed and about to crack...ask me if I have spent time with God lately.  No item on my to-do list is more important than that one.

1 comment:

  1. Is there anything that we can do for you ???---I would be glad to help in any way.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete