Thursday, July 4, 2013

Freedom to serve...

Happy Independence Day!

The girls several years ago at the Wilmore Veteran's Day Parade.
Today we celebrate the birth of our nation, the freedoms we enjoy and those who have defended those freedoms and this very soil on which we stand. It is a debt that can never be repaid.  I absolutely love Fourth of July celebrations!  It's one of those days that the country comes together regardless of political affiliation, differing beliefs, socio-economic status, education level, etc. to celebrate what we have in common:  freedom!

The question that comes to mind for me on this day is "What are we free from?" and "What are we free to do?"  I think the first one is answered pretty easily...we are free from the fear of religious persecution, free to pursue dreams, free to own property, free from the fear that our homes will be invaded....free from political violence and unrest.  The list goes on and on ...but what are we free to do?  Live our lives worthy of that freedom...

Which reminds me of Galatians 5:13:

You were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only don’t let this freedom be an opportunity to indulge your selfish impulses but serve each other through love.

So as an American Christian, I am especially reminded today that I am free politically but also spiritually.  My freedom to express my religious beliefs has been given to me by my fellow Americans.  My freedom to love others has been given to me by the atoning acts of Christ.  I am free to love and I am free to serve. Serving is not an obligation or a burden...it is a joy.  It is freeing to put others before self.  I encourage you today to think about how you can serve others in love.  We are free not to pursue our own selfish desires, but to serve one another.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment