Monday, June 24, 2013

A Mother's Prayer

My girls are visiting their grandparents this week.  It is a nice reprieve from parenting and it is especially timely as I am going to be starting working full-time in just a few weeks.  One of our goals this week is to get the house cleaned up and put back in order which can be a daunting task with kids running around!

As I was cleaning the kitchen yesterday, my gaze fell to the windowsill over the sink.  There sat a little framed poem that I have had for many, many years.  My Aunt Sharon gave it to me when Anna was a little tiny thing.  It had sat in her windowsill while her children were young.



It is looking a little rough, but it has been in the windowsill of two mother's, five children, four states, twelve homes....it is precious.  It has served its purpose of reminding of my most important responsibility.  I will pass it along to another young mother when it is time.

Here is what is says:

A Mother's Prayer

God, give me the wisdom to see that today is my day with my children,
That there is no unimportant moment in their lives.
May I know no other career is as precious,
No other work so rewarding,
No other task so urgent.
May I not defer it nor neglect it,
But by thy Spirit accept it gladly, joyously, and by thy grace realize
That the time is short and my time is now,
For children won't wait!

written by Helen M. Young

Just a few years ago....




No comments:

Post a Comment