Friday, July 29, 2011

Sometimes you just have to improvise....

It never fails.  I am always running out of something I need in the kitchen.  There are lots and lots of stories about me starting to cook a meal and realizing I am out of a critical ingredient.  Being the stubborn person (and incredibly pressed for time) that I am, I usually refuse to run to the store and just "make do."  Sometimes these little experiments work and sometimes...well....lets just say it can be interesting.

Yesterday as I was packing Abby's lunch for soccer camp and Anna's lunch for Wilmore Summer Day Camp, I grabbed for the bread and realized that I had just enough bread for one sandwich.  Not good!  Two girls (one of which eats TWO sandwiches--see yesterday's post) and two slices of bread...it is 6:00 in the morning and everyone needs to be out the door in about an hour and a half.

So, I looked around and saw tortilla shells.  I had done this before when they were little.  They loved it.  That's what it was going to be!  Peanut butter and jelly roll-ups!!

Here's what you need:

1. tortillas
2.  peanut butter
3. jelly

So simple...

I started by heating the tortillas in between two moistened paper towels in the microwave for about 20 seconds.  Then spread peanut butter over the entire surface and jelly on only half.


Then you start rolling it up




If you have put jelly on the entire tortilla this will become a very, very messy event!

They should look like this




I then cut them in half simply so that they can fit inside a sandwich bag




Here they are ready to be packed in a lunch




Sometimes...you just have to improvise!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good, I'm sure the girls enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete