Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A tension filled relaxing weekend

I spent this past weekend with my sister out in Arizona. It was a lovely weekend filled with sight seeing, relaxation, good food and laughter. Waking up whenever we wanted, sleeping when we wanted, eating when we wanted....things that moms don't ever get to do.

So why was there tension? Definitely not because of any sibling drama!

There was tension within me.

We were in Scottsdale, Arizona. A glitzy, ritzy town. One filled with opulence and overindulgence. We stayed in a resort where everything was done for you. I didn't have to open a door, pour a cup of coffee, pick up a towel, make a bed....

Sounds perfect? It wasn't. Now don't get me wrong. I loved being on vacation...but I can't say that it was perfect.

I got the feeling that the employees of the resort were trying to do their jobs (serving us) while being seen as little as humanly possible. We, the guests, were not suppose to see things appear for us. Little to no eye contact was made, just a slight nod of the head.

I wanted to take their faces in my hands, force them to look me in the eye, and say to them, "You are a beloved child of God. You are not invisible, you are worth the same as all of these you serve! I appreciate you!"

My world was upside down. It quickly righted itself however, when I squeezed into my coach seat on the airplane and was charged $8 for a blanket while the person in front of me got hers free. Life was back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment